Steven is just over an hour away from finishing his bag of chemo from round 15. Then it is a typical methotrexate stay--we will be here until at least Friday morning and possibly until Saturday. So far he is doing okay. He is watching movies in an effort to stave off the nausea. I took his leg down to Shriners after we got here. The prosthetist decided not to make the modification that we had talked about and sent me home with it. It is complicated, but I am happy with the arrangement. Carrying the leg around, I think I got more stares than Steven did walking with it. He got to go to school for a few hours this morning and he wore his leg. He was really happy to be there and it made me sad to take him from school and up to the hospital. He was in the middle of PE and having a grand time. So here we go again! When this is done, he will have just three to go. The end is feeling tangible.
A beautiful life
Saturday morning we got a devastating call from Rob's mom: his dad had passed away in the night. They were in California, had spent a lovely week at Disneyland with Rob's brother and his family. He hadn't complained of any health problems during the trip and had no known health problems so this came as a huge shock to all of us. His passing has brought to my mind a wealth of memories shared with him. He has been such a huge part of holidays, birthdays, vacations, home projects, and really just our life. He was a humble man with a very big heart. Steven was named after him and as a little kid, he idolized his grandpa. I hope that his biggest aspiration is to be as kind and good as his namesake. I have so many pictures of him and my kids. I keep thinking about Alisa's admonition to take more pictures. I'm glad I have as many as I do. I wish I could take more. Here are a few that tell a little about him as a grandpa. Here is one o...
Comments
Post a Comment